Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A dear departed friend gave me a copy of Jeff Smith's Frugal Gourmet as a gift many years ago and this was her favorite recipe from that book.
- 2 lbs russet potatoes
- 3⁄4 lb green beans, fresh trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, hard boiled, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Simmer about 30 minutes until very tender when pierced with a fork. Carefully drain and allow to cool. Peel and cut into 1/2 inch dice.
- Blanch the green beans for about 5 minutes in a pot of water. Drain and rinse beans in cold water. Drain well.
- Lightly toss potatoes, beans, onion, and hard boiled eggs.
- Whisk olive oil, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Add dressing to salad, toss and chill until ready to eat.
Wonderful potato salad. Great recipe and fantastic on a hot summers night. I followed the recipe exactly and it was terrific! The flavour was great and so the salad was so colourful! The family loved it and and its saying something when my DD and DS get up from the dinner table and pack the leftovers for school/work next day! A great recipe every potato salad lover should try. Thanks Deb will make this one again!
Debbs, youve done it again! This is one of the best potato salads Ive eaten in my life! It is creamy, flavourful and very balanced. I really like the combination of egg, potato and beans (had never tried it before). I had to make some small changes, but I dont think they harmed your recipe: I left out the lemon as Im allergic to it, but combined yoghurt and mayo for a tangy flavour. Then noticed I had no parsley here, so used some red basil. Overall a superb salad that I will surely make often again! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing it with us, Debbs! Made and reviewed for Everyday Is A Holiday Tag Game Octobre 09.
Made for holiday tag. I have been experimenting with different potato salad recipes this year and really enjoyed this version.I loved the green beans in this.I only added a 1/4 cup of oil and added in a bit more mayo.