Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Penzey's Spices website.
- 5 lbs red potatoes
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 (14 ounce) cans water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into rings
- Wash potatoes, place in a large pot covered with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil the potatoes until just tender (approximately 30 minutes), but be careful to not overcook.
- When cool enough to handle, peel and quarter the potatoes and put into a large bowl. You may need to cut some of the potatoes smaller to make bite-sized.
- Cut off the ends of the beans. While the potatoes are cooking, bring a separate pot of water to a boil, add green beans, and boil for 5-7 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Add green beans to the potatoes.
- Drizzle the oil and red wine vinegar over the potatoes and beans. Sprinkle the oregano, salt, and black pepper and toss lightly. Add the drained and quartered artichoke hearts and the onions and toss to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Toss again before serviing.
My mother was irish-german but didn't learn true cooking until she married into my dad's italian family. This was a summer family when we were growing up.