Recipe by Derf
Mmm-- Tender potatoes with herbs and pepper. Adapted from Company's Coming, diabetic cooking. 3/4 cup serving = 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 milk
Top Review by love4culinary
This is marvelous!!! I used a red jalapeno mustard that i just love...next time i might even try more cayenne hehe... this is absolutely delcious :-) Thanks for the recipe!!
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup skim evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons hot mustard, your favourite
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 medium unpeeled new potatoes, thinly sliced, about 4 cups
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in medium nonstick fry pan until onion is soft.
- Combine evaporated milk and flour in small bowl, whisk until smooth.
- Slowly add to onion, stirring constantly, until boiling and thickened.
- Stir in mustard, salt, basil, sugar and oregano.
- Arrange 1/2 of the potatoes in a greased 2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Layer with 1/2 of the tomato slices.
- Cover with 1/2 of the onion sauce.
- Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, cover and bake in 375°F degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake for 20 to 30 minutes more until golden brown and potatoes are soft.