Recipe by Tish
Found this recipe in "The Food of Italy ". It looks so impressive that I thought someone here might enjoy it! I add extra garlic of course!
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 2 lbs potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons milk
- fresh ground black pepper
- sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 415º F.
- Slice the onion, break it into rings, and, in a strainer, rinse the rings under cold water.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the garlic, and set aside.
- Place a layer of potato on the bottom of an 8" springform pan, followed by layers of onion, butter, mozzarella, and Parmesan.
- Grind some black pepper and a little sea salt.
- Repeat the layers until you have used up all the ingredients, keeping a bit of butter to drizzle on the top.
- Finish with potato and then drizzle on a little butter.
- Spoon the milk over the top.
- Place the springform pan on a baking sheet with a lip or flat pizza pan with a lip.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the top is golden brown and the potatoes are tender.
- Check in 45 minutes; if the top is getting too brown, cover with foil.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Unclip the sides of the pan and remove, and transfer to a plate for serving.