Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 1 (5 lb) chuck roast
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef base
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat and brown roast on all sides.
- Combine water and remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Pour over roast; bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer for 3 hours or until tender.
- Let cool slightly; cover and chill.
- Remove roast from broth; cut into very thin slices.
- Return meat to broth; cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.
This is possibly the best pot roast I have ever eaten. It was moist and flavorful. Best yet, it cooks on the stove. I did use a meat thermometer and stopped cooking at 160.
I roasted this at 325 for 2 hours (I had a smaller roast) and it was perfection. Loved the seasonings and the roast was so tender and full of flavor. Thanks for sharing the recipe.