Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 hrs
A slow-cooker recipe
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes and blotted dry
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine (Chianti or Zinfandel)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper (6 grinds)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Coat the slow cooker with cooking spray; layer the onion, bell peppers, and garlic in the cooker.
- In a big skillet over med-high heat, warm 1 ½ tablespoon oil until very hot.
- Add half the meat; cook until browned on all sides, 4-5 minutes; transfer meat to cooker.
- Repeat with remaining oil and meat.
- Add the tomatoes and wine to the skillet; bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the pan.
- Add in the fennel, orange zest, rosemary, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour over everything in the cooker; cover and cook on LOW for 7-9 hours, until pork is fork tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour and water together; whisk the slurry into the hot liquid in the slow cooker, increase heat to HIGH and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes, until thickened; taste and add salt/pepper if needed.