Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Here's another recipe passed down from my mother and I've passed on to my daughters and daughter-in-law. We love it because it not only tastes good but it is an entire meal in one dish - AMEN! Enjoy!
- 6 pork loin chops
- 2 tablespoons shortening or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup grated romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat shortening in large skillet; add pork chops and brown quickly on both sides.
- Remove chops and drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- Cook onion and green pepper in remaining fat for about 3 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add tomato sauce, water, sugar and seasonings.
- Heat to boiling and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Arrange potatoes in a large shallow baking dish or casserole.
- Place pork chops on top of potatoes and pour sauce over all.
- Cover casserole with lid or foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove cover and sprinkle with grated romano cheese, returning to oven and baking 15 minutes longer.
This worked well as a tag-team dish for dinner. I assembled the dish in the morning and DH put it in the oven in the evening - what could be simpler. It was so nice to walk in to a hot, home cooked meal rather than with a bag of burgers on a busy weeknight. DH and I especially liked the crust the cheese made on top of the chops. Next time I will slice the potatoes rather than quarter them so that they cook a bit more and absorb more of the yummy sauce. Also, I will salt and pepper the potatoes before covering them with the meat and will use chicken broth rather than water. Thanks Goodies from Grandma's!