Recipe by Mike Pellerin
This recipe was originally posted in my hometown Newspaper (Lawrence, MA), back in the 70s. The original recipe was lost, but with the help of my Mother, we've recreated it here. Note; the use of frozen bread dough is original to the authentic recipe.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 large bell pepper (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 2 loaves frozen bread dough (thawed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef and pork.
- Add onions and Peppers and saute till onions are slightly browned. Add garlic and saute.
- Add all other ingredients except dough, and simmer till thickened.
- Roll out 1 loaf of dough to fit a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Using a slotted spoon spread the meat mixture on top.
- Roll out the second loaf.
- Place this sheet on top and seal the edges.
- Poke a few vent holes in the crust.
- Brush the top completely with the fat drippings.
- Bake at the temp reccomended for the bread dough, till golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting with a bread knife. (the inside will look slightly doughy).