Recipe by Kim D.
This Italian steak is requested often by my family. I serve it with a fresh salad, warm bread, and with either mashed potatoes or pasta. The steaks make a very thin olive oil type sauce that can be used with the pasta. Don't forget the Chianti!
- 1 -2 lb round steaks (3/4 - 1 1/4 inch thick) or 1 -2 lb sirloin steak (3/4 - 1 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F (325°F is using glass baking dish).
- Place steaks, in one layer, in a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Mash up tomatoes and pour on top of steaks, spreading to cover steaks.
- Sprinkle with oregano, parsley, onion salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and minced garlic.
- Drizzle olive oil on top and bake, uncovered for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Take steaks out of oven; sprinkle tops with shredded Mozzarella cheese.
- Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted.
- *NOTE* If you want to use the sauce over pasta, you might want to add 1 (8 oz.) can of tomato sauce along with the can of stewed tomatoes to make it go a little further.