Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This delicious soup is quick and easy to fix. Just add bread for a hearty meal!
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 9.85 ml dried basil
- 118.29 ml uncooked rice
- 236.59 ml diced or crushed tomatoes
- 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 28.34-56.69 g thinly sliced pepperoni
- 118.29 ml shredded provolone cheese or 118.29 ml mozzarella cheese
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Saute the onion and green pepper until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the oregano, basil, rice, tomatoes and broth, and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and place cover on saucepan.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in the pepperoni, and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Continue cooking for another minute or two.
- Serve, and add an extra sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Now this is a tasty tasty treat! It is simple to make, and full of flavor. We used rotel for the diced tomatoes, and served it with grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. Very filling! I must say that I really enjoyed scraping the built up cheese off of the spoon, it was like a little added bonus! We will certainly make this soup again, it was really very good :)
This was very easy and quick to make. I made some changes so it would be vegetarian. I left out the pepperoni and added some navy beans, corn and green peas. I also subbed vegetable broth for the chicken broth. I used twice the amount of garlic. The result was a simple and delicious dinner. I served it with garlic french bread. Thanks for sharing your recipe truebrit.
I hate to burst such a good record of reviews, but I simply cannot understand how this got so many 5 star ratings. We hated it! It had a very bad taste, and in no way did it come close to tasting like pizza. Sorry.