1/1 Photo of Italian Pesto ‘Potato Pasta’ #5FIX
Lady Nann's Note:
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. I was craving spaghetti but did not have any noodles on hand. So I used the Simply Potato Shredded Hash Browns which I did have in my frig to substitute for the pasta and added Hot Italian Sausage, Pesto, Spaghetti sauce and cheese and it turned out delicious! I served this for dinner to not only my family but my neighbors as well and we all loved it! And I promise you will too! ENJOY!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2In a medium bowl put the potatoes, 6 tablespoons of the pesto and 1 ¼ cups of the mozzarella cheese and toss until well mixed. Set aside.
- 3In a small dish put 1 tablespoon of the pesto and ¼ cup of the cheese and toss well. Set aside for part of the garnish.
- 4In a medium skillet cook the sausage until cooked through, browned and crumbled. Pour off grease into a small heat safe dish and set aside. Add the jar of spaghetti sauce and the remaining 6 tablespoons of the pesto and mix well with the meat mixture. Bring to a simmer stirring and remove from heat. Reserve ½ cup of the meat sauce for the garnish.
- 5In a 9x9 inch square baking dish pour one teaspoon of the reserved sausage grease into the dish. Brush sides and bottom of dish well with the grease. Add more if necessary to cover the dish. Set dish aside.
- 6Pour the meat sauce and 2 Tablespoons of the remaining leftover sausage grease over the bowl of potatoes and toss mixing well until the potatoes are all covered.
- 7Pour half the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. Smooth out. Sprinkle 1 ¼ cups of the cheese over top. Pour remaining potato mixture on top of the cheese and again smooth out. Cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 ¼ cups cheese and put back into the oven UNcovered for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- 8Remove pan from oven. Cut into desired amount of pieces. Put about one tablespoon or more of the reserved meat sauce on top and in the center of each piece as a garnish. Then divide evenly the reserved pesto/cheese mixture and put in center of the sauce on each piece to finish as the garnish. Serve hot. Makes 4-6 servings.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Pesto ‘Potato Pasta’ #5FIX
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 722.4
- Calories from Fat 441
- Total Fat 49.1 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 137.0 mg
- Sodium 2509.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 46.9 g