Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
I was having a huge steak craving, but it's like the world was consipring against me--the restaurants nearby had both run out of beef! So I pulled this recipe from TOH and decided to resolve the issue in my own kitchen. I didn't have many leftovers, even though I was the only one eating it. And I got jealous glares from everyone who had to smell the heated leftovers in our small office the next day.
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 lb boneless beef top sirloin steak, trimmed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium yellow sweet pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, julienned
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Rub mixture over both sides of steak; set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, saute the peppers, onion and garlic in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add tomatoes and remaining Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in vinegar; keep warm.
- Place steak on a broiler pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. (I used my Calphalon hard anodized skillet.).
- Broil 4-6 inches from the heat for 4-8 minutes on each side or until desired doneness.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
Pepper Steak has always been one of our favorites, and this one was so good - meaning of course that it has already seen to a repeat.The aroma has one anticipating. Makes for both great taste and presentation making for a company quality meal. I used Leanne's Recipe#68017, have added the Italian Seasoning to my favorites cookbook as I have yours. Thank you anonymous23 for sharing this delicious version of Pepper Steak.