Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
It seems like I make this with my eyes closed already. The family loves it as well as guests. You can make as much as you want and if you are lucky to have leftovers, it's better the second time around. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, sweet and taken out of the casing (or ask the butcher for the ground sausage meat..it saves time)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons romano cheese
- grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, to sprinkle over finished dish
- top with a few fresh basil leaf
- 1 lb muti-flavored rotini noodles, cooked al dante
- In a large,skillet brown the sausage until it is cooked through.
- Drain the fat and drain the sausage on paper towels.
- In the same pan heat your olive oil add and sauté the peppers, and onions, until the onion is translucent,then add the garlic and sauté gently but do not brown your garlic.
- This will make the dish bitter.
- The vegetables should be tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, spices, Romano cheese and sausage.
- Cover the pan and simmer all over a medium-low heat for 8-10 minute.
- If your mixture seems too thick you can add a little water or red wine.
- While the meat mixture is cooking, the pasta can be prepared as per directions.
- You do not want to overcook your pasta.
- You want a little firmness to your noodles.
- When you are ready to serve use a large platter.
- The noodles first, then spoon the meat mixture over.
- Mix slightly.
- Sprinkle with the Parigiano-Reggiano and place your fresh basil leaves atop.
- This goes well with a full bodied red wine, a green salad with Italian oil and vinegar dressing, and most of all a good hard crusted peasant bread.
We used this recipe as a base, and changed it up a little. We used ground mild italian sausage, home canned tomatoes, and doubled the recipe. When it was almost done, I added a package of cream cheese.The tomatoes were juicy, so I added a bit of cornstarch to thicken. It was so yummy. We had it on angel hair pasta, as that was all we had on hand.
Good, quick, use whatever you have kind of recipe. Added frozen yellow & green squash from my summer garden & sliced mushrooms. Did add 1/2 cp chkn broth & only had dried herbs, but was very good. Some dried red peppers would add extra zest. Thanks!
I cut this recipe down a bit but didn't measure. I used one red pepper, one can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, and added a little ck broth. I stirred in a lot of fresh basil and oregano from my garden...added more basil at the end. Awesome! I made this to suit our tastes perfectly and I can't wait to make this again. TRY the fresh oregano too. Thanks for sharing...Luv this!