1/4 Photos of Italian Pepper and Sausage Dinner
It seems like I make this with my eyes closed already. The family loves it as well as guests. You can make as much as you want and if you are lucky to have leftovers, it's better the second time around. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, sweet and taken out of the casing (or ask the butcher for the ground sausage meat..it saves time)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 1/2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons romano cheese
- grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, to sprinkle over finished dish
- top with a few fresh basil leaf
- 1 lb muti-flavored rotini noodles, cooked al dante
- 1In a large,skillet brown the sausage until it is cooked through.
- 2Drain the fat and drain the sausage on paper towels.
- 3In the same pan heat your olive oil add and sauté the peppers, and onions, until the onion is translucent,then add the garlic and sauté gently but do not brown your garlic.
- 4This will make the dish bitter.
- 5The vegetables should be tender.
- 6Stir in the tomatoes, spices, Romano cheese and sausage.
- 7Cover the pan and simmer all over a medium-low heat for 8-10 minute.
- 8If your mixture seems too thick you can add a little water or red wine.
- 9While the meat mixture is cooking, the pasta can be prepared as per directions.
- 10You do not want to overcook your pasta.
- 11You want a little firmness to your noodles.
- 12When you are ready to serve use a large platter.
- 13The noodles first, then spoon the meat mixture over.
- 14Mix slightly.
- 15Sprinkle with the Parigiano-Reggiano and place your fresh basil leaves atop.
- 16This goes well with a full bodied red wine, a green salad with Italian oil and vinegar dressing, and most of all a good hard crusted peasant bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Pepper and Sausage Dinner
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 643.4
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 44.9 mg
- Sodium 1176.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 26.8 g