Recipe by MechanicalJen
Peas, Basil, Parmesan. What's not to love? Very simple italian inspired soup which turns the prettiest shade of green. Wonderful for spring, or any time of year. Very cheap and fast - and tasty! Found in "The Practical Guide to Using Herbs". I suggest using the full amount of olive oil called for, as its a low calorie soup to begin with.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 3 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn
- fresh basil, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and add onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Cover pan and cook over low heat for 40 minutes, or until veggies are soft. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add peas and stock to the pan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add basil and seasoning. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Use a food processor or immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Return soup to pan and reheat gently until ready to serve.
- Garnish with cheese and basil.