Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a great summer meal-in-one. Its bursting with fresh-from-the-garden goodness with added spark from the salami. Be as creative as you like with the optional veggies. I often have a few handfuls of something from the garden or a half a cup of leftovers that go right in. Even if you don't particularly like anchovies try adding the anchovy paste at least once. You don't really taste it -- it just improves the flavor of the dressing. Try it at your next potluck or picnic!
- 1 lb tri-color spiral pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 medium cucumbers, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely diced
- 1⁄4 cup black olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb hard salami or 1⁄2 lb pepperoni, diced
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese or 1⁄2 lb provolone cheese, diced
- pepperoncini peppers (optional) or other hot pepper (optional)
Optional Veggies (use any or all)
- snow peas (optional)
- snap peas (optional)
- green peas (optional)
- broccoli (raw or blanched) (optional)
- cauliflower (raw or blanched) (optional)
- carrot (shredded or sliced) (optional)
- green beans (raw or blanched) (optional)
- lima beans (cooked and cooled) (optional)
- garbanzo beans (cooked and cooled) (optional)
- mushroom (fresh or canned) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Mix all salad ingredients and any optional veggies in a large bowl.
- Put all dressing ingredients into a bowl and mix vigorously with a whisk or fork to make sure that the anchovy paste is thoroughly blended inches.
- Toss salad with dressing and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Taste and correct seasonings if necessary. If the pasta has soaked up too much dressing make a little more.
- There should be a tang too it, maybe even a bite. If it seems bland make more dressing but don't overwhelm the fresh, bright flavor of the veggies.
I made this salad to take along on a camping trip. I had to leave out the meat for the vegetarian in the group.I did add broccoli, cauliflower and green beans from the options list. Next time I'll add the anchovy paste. Very tasty.