Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great summer meal-in-one. Its bursting with fresh-from-the-garden goodness with added spark from the salami. Be as creative as you like with the optional veggies. I often have a few handfuls of something from the garden or a half a cup of leftovers that go right in. Even if you don't particularly like anchovies try adding the anchovy paste at least once. You don't really taste it -- it just improves the flavor of the dressing. Try it at your next potluck or picnic!
- 1 lb tri-color spiral pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 medium cucumbers, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 large vine-ripened tomato, coarsely diced
- 1⁄4 cup black olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb hard salami or 1⁄2 lb pepperoni, diced
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese or 1⁄2 lb provolone cheese, diced
- pepperoncini peppers (optional) or other hot pepper (optional)
Optional Veggies (use any or all)
- snow peas (optional)
- snap peas (optional)
- green peas (optional)
- broccoli (raw or blanched) (optional)
- cauliflower (raw or blanched) (optional)
- carrot (shredded or sliced) (optional)
- green beans (raw or blanched) (optional)
- lima beans (cooked and cooled) (optional)
- garbanzo beans (cooked and cooled) (optional)
- mushroom (fresh or canned) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Mix all salad ingredients and any optional veggies in a large bowl.
- Put all dressing ingredients into a bowl and mix vigorously with a whisk or fork to make sure that the anchovy paste is thoroughly blended inches.
- Toss salad with dressing and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Taste and correct seasonings if necessary. If the pasta has soaked up too much dressing make a little more.
- There should be a tang too it, maybe even a bite. If it seems bland make more dressing but don't overwhelm the fresh, bright flavor of the veggies.