Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is how they make it here in Northern Italy.
Make and share this Italian Pasta Fagioli recipe from Food.com.
- Shell the beans, discarding any brown ones.
- In a food processor, chop the onion, celery, carrots, & pancetta/bacon until finely minced.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the minced ingredients and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, potatoes, broth & stir.
- Cover the soup, bring to a boil, & simmer over low heat for an hour or until the beans are tender.
- Remove the potatoes, mash them roughly with a fork, and return to the soup.
- Add the pasta, raise the heat to medium, & cook for about 15 minutes. Taste for salt.
- Serve in individual bowls & drizzle each serving with 2 teaspoons of olive oil or sprinkle with 1 T. parmesan cheese. Not both.