Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A totally vegetarian, healthy dish that is delicious and comforting. Loaded with fiber, low in fat and calories...healthy doesn't get much better than this! Serve with crusty Italian or French bread :)
- 1 cup ditalini or 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (white kidney beans)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup locatelli cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cook pasta as box instructs, in boiling salted water.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and cook for 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook one minute more.
- Add beans, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and water and heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low-med heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Stir in drained pasta, cheese and parsley and cook until heated through.
This was so easy and so delicious. It is exactly what I was looking for. My family loved it and can't wait until I make it again. Great recipe Karen!!!:)))
Hey Karen--this is great! Easy and fast to throw together. I used tubettini noodles, love those! and realized I didn't have any celery, so I tossed in some celery seed. Also tossed in a bit of italian seasoning. We loved it. Served with garlic bread on the side. Thanks for another easy, delicious recipe!
This is a delicious, healthy,and high fiber dish. Easy to prepare and I served it with French bread. I added a tsp. of oregano, and it gave it that Italian flavor. May try tsp. of Italian seasonings next time.