Recipe by Caroline Cooks
Make ahead! Pretty party cake with a sweet-bitter kick. Excellent to top off an Italian pasta dinner, served with strong coffee. The apple, ricotta,almond and chocolate flavors really come together during refrigeration to blend with the pound cake. Made for years from a very old and much-used Southern Living Dinner & Supper Cookbook.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) frozen pound cake, patially thawed
- 1 (16 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, grated
- 1 cup grated peeled granny smith apple
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Carefully cut partially thawed pound cake into 4 horizontal slices.
- Set each aside.
- Combine cheese, sugar, chocolate, apple, and almond extract; mix well.
- Spread cheese mixture on each slice and reassemble into loaf.
- Chill at least 10 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, frost with whipped cream; sprinkle with nuts.
- To serve, slice diagonially.
- Refrigerate left-overs, if any.