Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
It's not always easy to find great-tasting recipes that are made with leftovers. This is one of them, though. This recipe is a great way to use up any leftover steak that you may have. It would also work well with a leftover roast.
- 1 (6 ounce) can Italian-style tomato paste
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices
- 4 ounces red wine (or 1 beef bouillon dissolved in 4 oz. of water)
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs steak
- 6 ounces cold water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup portabella mushroom, washed and sliced
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- Mix all ingredients (except the cheeses) in a 2-qt pan.
- Bring to a slow boil and then simmer on low until the onion is cooked and tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- Remove the meat from the sauce.
- Cut it into 1/2 inch to ¾ inch strips.
- Pour 1/2 of sauce into a casserole dish.
- Add the meat and pour remaining sauce over meat.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle generously with grated Parmesan.
- Then top with the mozzarella.
- Allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.