Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this on a local organic farm's website. It sounds delicious!!!
- 1 active dry yeast, package
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- some finely chopped bell pepper
- Sprinkle yeast into warm water in a large mixing bowl. Let stand until dissolved. Add sugar, salt, and 1 cup of the flour, Beat well.
- Add 3 eggs one at a time. Beat until smooth. Beat in butter. Work in finely chopped bell peppers. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out on floured board. Knead until smooth and satiny. Place in a greased bowl. Butter top of dough lightly. Cover with a kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. Turn out on a floured board. Knead lightly.
- Roll out into a rectangle about 10 to 16 inches. Beat remaining egg. Blend in cheeses and oregano. Spread cheese filling over dough. Roll up firmly from narrow end. Shape into a round by folding ends underneath. Place in a greased 2 quart round baking dish (preferably one with straight sides about 3 inches high, such as a soufflé or fondue dish). Cover.
- Let rise in warm place until doubled in size. Bake in 350 degrees F oven 40 minutes, or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when thumped. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan.
I utilized the bread machine to mix the dough on this recipe. I didn't see an amount for the water listed so started with a 1/2 cup to foam the yeast. I did have to adjust the dough after it was mixed as it was still very loose. I added more flour a spoonful at a time until I had a consistency I was happy with. I also added the cheeses & oregano directly to the dough as I planned to use the bread to make Recipe #289116. The bread had a nice texture & was well flavored. Made for ZWT4.
Great bread! I will definitely make this again. Left out the green pepper for personal taste otherwise made as written. Served with Recipe #26820 and a green salad. Yummy! Made for ZWT 4.