Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Big cubes of bread in this traditional Italian salad soak up the zesty dressing; white beans and provolone pump up the protein for a well-balanced vegetarian meal. From Martha Stewart.
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup best quality extra-virgin olive oil
- coarse salt and pepper
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups large cubes country bread (5 to 6 ounces)
- 1 lb plum tomato, cut into small pieces
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1⁄4 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, in one piece diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, torn
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Add beans, bread, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and cheese. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, and up to 8 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in basil.
We loved this substantial salad! Even my husband, who prefers bleu cheese dressing, liked the vinaigrette. I couldn't get to the store, but this salad survived substituting green pepper & scallions for the cucumber and American cheese for the provolone. A great way to use up stale bread, but you can bet that next time I will make it exactly as written. :)