Recipe by Bergy
I made this up as I viewed my frozen Panini and my Italian sausages.. I make 3 burgers out of one lb of meat but listed 4 in the instructions as 4 oz burgers seem to be the most popular.. I love Hot Italian and that is what I have listed but use mild if you prefer. BBQ or pan fry the patties. If you BBQ fry up the pepper mixture separately while your burgers cook.Make the patties rectangular so they fill the panini. One panini makes a healthy serving and you may decide to share but cutting it in two. Hope you try this recipe and enjoy it
Top Review by Susie D
FABULOUS is exactly right on this recipe! I used ground turkey and mixed with my favorite Italian Sausage seasoning. I then added crushed red pepper flakes to half for "hot" sausage as only one of us likes the extra heat. The vegetables take this over the top. They cooked long enough to caramelize the onions & I found I had more than enough filling. (I plan to stuff a pita with it tomorrow.) By the time the bun is crisp and the cheese is melted we were almost sighing from the smells. Thank you for sharing the recipe! =)
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 500 g panini bread (4 Panini)
- 3⁄4 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped or 3⁄4 teaspoon dry basil
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Form the Italian sausage into 4 rectangular patties.
- Over medium heat pan fry the patties, brown one side flip, cover with lid and continue cooking until done (apprx 5 min per side), set aside keep warm or
- if your pan is large enough when you flip the patties add the onions & garlic, then the peppers and finish cooking all at once - otherwise follow along as suggested.
- Remove any excess grease from the pan.
- Meanwhile combine Onions and garlic.
- Add onions & garlic to pan and cook until they are well browned. Apprx 8 minutes
- Add peppers, tomatoes, basil & pine nuts cook 4 minutes.
- Lightly Paint one side of the Panini bread with oilive oil.
- Place a burger & 1/4 on the pepper mixture on 1/2 of the uncoated side of the panini, sprinkle with 1/4 of the parmesan, fold in half.
- Grill in a fry pan (apprx 3 minutes per side or until as crisp and golden as you like it) Brown one side then the other .
- An alternative method is to lay the panini flat, brown it & then add the patty & peppers etc.
- Or use your grill and brown both sides at once with the filling already inside.
- Serve with a nice green salad.