Recipe by Hey Jude
These wonderful tomatoes can be put on toasted bread with cheese to make bruschetta or you can add them to pasta dishes. They also make yummy garnishes and are good in salads. Don't throw the olive oil away when the tomatoes are gone! It will be infused with tomato flavor and is great to use in salad dressings or on pasta. The tomatoes will keep up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- 6 ripe Italian tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick (Roma)
- 3 cups extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian herb seasoning (such as basil, oregano or rosemary)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 225°.
- Combine tomatoes, 2 T. olive oil, herbs, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste in a mixing bowl.
- Arrange tomatoes in rows on a parchment-lined cookie sheet; bake 1 hr.
- Cool to room temperature, about 15 min.
- Place in 4 half-pint canning jars.
- Add remaining olive oil to cover tomatoes in each jar.
- tightly cover jars.
- **Note: Olive oil will solidify in the refrigerator, but this won't affect the tomatoes. The oil will re-liquify at room temperature.