1/7 Photos of Italian Old Fashioned Cherries Cake or Dolce Di Ciliegie
This historical family recipe has been published by the famous Italian cook Artusi in his book "L' arte la scienza in cucina e l' arte di mangiar bene" in 1891 (http://www.italia-rsi.org/zzz/pagine_gialle_cultura_italiana/cucina/artusi.htm) Note: between the first reviewer and second review the recipe has been altered! I corrected the recipe back to the original.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb cherries (250 g frozen or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 ounces almonds (ground)
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs (finely grated)
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 4 ounces icing sugar (120 g)
- 2 ounces breadcrumbs (finely grated, 60 g)
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch (if using frozen cherries)
- 2 tablespoons nuts liqueur (alternative Amaretto or Maraschino)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (grated peel only) or 1/2 lemon (grated peel only)
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar (to serve)
- 1Wash cherries and eliminate stones.
- 2Grease your mold (more or less 10 to 10 inches).
- 3Distribute the almonds and one tablespoon bread crumbs to coat the bottom of the mold.
- 4Blend egg yolk with the icing sugar until creamy and soft.
- 5Incorporate bread crumbs, cornstarch (if using frozen cherries and you have a lot of juice), liqueur, vanilla or lemon zest and the liquid of the cherries (if using frozen ones).
- 6Beat egg whites separately to soft peaks; incorporate gently into the egg yolk mix.
- 7Distribute this soft mix equally on the coated mold.
- 8Drop the cherries on it.
- 9Bake in the preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200°C) for about 30 minutes or until brown and cooked through (heat and timing are basing it on convection oven).
- 10Top with powdered sugar.
- 11Serve hot or cold.
- 12Suggestion for top presentation: place one piece on the dish, add 1 tablespoon cherry liqueur (or maraschino or sherry) on it and heat in the microwave until hot (about 15-20 seconds). Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Old Fashioned Cherries Cake or Dolce Di Ciliegie
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.8
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 125.6 mg
- Sodium 174.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 33.5 g
- Protein 8.3 g