Prep 40 mins
Cook 8 hrs 25 mins
A vegetarian pasta sauce made in the slow-cooker.
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in half lengthwise sprinkled with salt, drained on paper towels 30 minutes, and rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, with their juice, crushed (or same size can of crushed tomatoes)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano (or marjoram)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place eggplant and garlic cloves on an oiled baking sheet.
- Brush with olive oil and bake about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Let cool; then remove the skin from the eggplant and coarsely chop the pulp; smash teh garlic to squeeze teh cloves out of their skins.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat; stir/saute the onion for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Transfer onion mixture, roasted eggplant, and smashed garlic to the slow cooker.
- Add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, wine, and oregano; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.
- Add in parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper during the last hour.
- The sauce will hold on LOW for a few hours.
- It will keep, refrigerated, for 3-5 days.
- Serve over hot cooked ziti.