Recipe by Skipper/Sy
This recipe uses fresh white button mushrooms, has a touch of Italian flavors and topped with Mozzarella cheese. If you are looking for a fast, easy and tasty side dish to make, then this is the one to try and enjoy.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 6 roasted garlic cloves (or 6 uncooked garlic gloves)
- 20 ounces fresh button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (Harveys Bristol Cream recommended)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons bell peppers (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese (cut into small pieces)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast 6 garlic cloves (see RecipeZaar for various recipes) , chop and set aside.
- Brush and clean the mushrooms as needed and then cut the big ones in half, set aside.
- In a small cup add the cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of water to form a mixture, set aside.
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS-.
- In a Teflon or large pan add the onions and butter and sauté for several minutes, until the onions starts to turn brown.
- Then add the roasted garlic cloves and stir for another minute.
- Next add the mushrooms and cook stir for about 5 minutes covered.
- Add the sherry, thyme, oregano, tomato paste and toss, then cook for about 10-15 minutes covered; that is, until the mushrooms are half of their original size.
- Add the bell peppers, salt to taste and cook for another minute.
- Add the cornstarch & water mixture and stir until the sauce thickens and clings to the mushrooms.
- Add the Mozzarella cheese on top, cover for 1 or 2 minutes until the cheese starts to melt.
- Then sprinkle the paprika, lemon zest all around (do not toss).
- Serve as a side dish and enjoy.