Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have TOO many recipes written down on pieces of paper here and there and everywhere, so I am putting them all here. This is one of those MANY recipes. I know it was a "newsletter" recipe, I just can't remember which one....I didn't print that part. Maybe, with all of my recipes in one place they will get made and not forgotten about.
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 slices
- 1 tomatoes, cut into 8 thin slices
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup marinara sauce, warmed for dipping
- On 4 of the slices of bread, place 1 cheese slice and 2 tomato slices.
- Top with remaining bread slices.
- On a sheet of wax paper/parchment paper combine together cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, and basil.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the eggs and the milk, mix well.
- In a large nonstick griddle or skillet melt 1 Tbs of butter over medium - medium high heat.
- Dip sandwiches in egg mixture, then coat with the cornmeal mixture. Do this 2 sandwiches at a time.
- Place 2 sandwiches on the griddle/skillet and cook for 3 min on each side or until golden.
- Repeat with last 2 sandwiches.
- Cut sandwiches in half; serve warm with marinara sauce for dipping.