Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I used to run a small italian restaurant and this was our most popular sub. Some like it served as a cold sub, and others prefer it baked until the cheese melts and the roll is toasty. Either way, it's delicious.
- 1 bakery sub rolls or 1 hoagie roll
- 14.79 ml red wine and vinegar salad dressing (or bottled italian dressing)
- 14.79 ml mayonnaise
- shredded lettuce
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced onion
- 29.58 ml roasted red peppers, from a jar,chopped or sliced
- 4 slice capicola (an italian spiced ham you can get in almost any supermarket deli now)
- 3 slice regular ham
- 4 slice salami
- 4 slice sandwich pepperoni (you can get this at the supermarket deli)
- 3-4 slice of your favorite cheese (on this sub, I like provolone best)
- Slice sub rolls all the way through& sprinkle each inside half with oil& vinegar mixture (or bottled italian dressing).
- Spread a little mayo on top of that& add your lettuce, tomato& onion& roasted peppers on the bottom half.
- Layer your meats on top of each other (fold each slice to fit on the roll) and top with cheese.
- Eat cold or put in 450° oven on a cookie sheet until cheese melts& rolls are lightly browned.
I made this for my parents when they came to visit for the weekend and it was a hit! We served it hot and I followed the recipe exactly.
Excellent recipe, see my photo. The only thing I changed besides adding hot pepper rings is the following... Mix (or chop) the onions, tomatoes, and hot pepper rings and mix together in bowl and drizzle with desired amount of italian dressing.. you can chop your lettuce and add to the mix only if the mix will all get used in one setting.. otherwise if you don't use, you will have wilted lettuce. This mixture plus lettuce goes on the sub AFTER IT IS BAKED IN OVEN! If you put the tomatoes and lettuce on while baking you will have mushy veggies. Maybe you like mushy veggies.... Thanks for sharing JL!
Oh, yea! Definately a keeper. Walmart didn't have capicola (bummer), so I didn't use it. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. I made this sandwich hot, which I prefer. I used the roasted red peppers as the recipe instructed. They were good. I think pepperocini's might also be good. I will try them next time. Thanks!