Recipe by Gingerbee
In my family we call these delicious little pies "Crochette"...They are made in a muffin tin and are an elegant dessert to be served at any holiday or party with your favorite cappuccino or espresso. Worth the effort! Believe me
Ingredients for the dough
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 egg yolks (lightly beaten)
- 4 tablespoons orange juice or 4 tablespoons water (liquor may be substituted)
Ingredients for Filling
- 1 lb whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (chopped)
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar and softened butter.
- To this, add egg yolks one at a time alternating between flour also added a bit at a time.
- Add 1 Tbsp.
- water at a time, until all is incorporated and dough is smooth.
- On a lightly floured board, roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut dough large enough to fit down into the individual muffin mold and up the sides.
- Crimp dough edges as you would a pie.
- This is a very forgiving dough and can be manipulated easily to fit the mold or repair torn areas.
- Roll out extra dough and cut thin strips to make an"X" on top of the filling.
- FILLING: In a large bowl with electric mixer or in a food processor, add the ingredients except for the chocolate chips and mix until smooth.
- Add chocolate chips by hand, stirring into mixture.
- Fill each muffin mold 3/4's full.
- Make an"X" on top of each with the dough strips.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until lightly golden in color.
- Cool and remove from tin; dust with confectionery sugar.
- Makes one dozen individual little"pies".