Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A nice change from your regular meatloaf recipe. The prosciutto adds a nice touch & is inexpensive at 3 ounces. Leftovers are great for sandwiches the next day. Serve with a potato dish and a green salad. From Hot Italian Dish cookbook by Victoria Gotti
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 ounces prosciutto
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil and saute the carrots, celery, onion and parsley for 7 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from heat and set aside.
- Cut half of the prosciutto into strips and mix with the ground meat in a medium mixing bowl.
- Knead the ingredients together until the ground meats are well mixed.
- Dissolve the bouillon cube in the water to make the broth.
- Add the egg, flour, broth, salt. pepper and nutmeg.
- Knead well by hand.
- Add the vegetable mixture into the meat mixture and knead well by hand.
- Mold the mixture into a loaf and place in a 9-inch casserole pan.
- Place the remaining prosciutto strips across the top of the loaf.
- Bake 50 minutes or until centre of the meat is no longer rare.