Recipe by KateL
The filling makes the meat loaf interesting, reminds me of a pastaless lasagna. It was yummy. Came from BH&G "New" Cookbook (1968). I used Whole Wheat Triscuits.
Top Review by ellie_
This was great - I used 2% cottage cheese (didn't measure - but used the rest of the container) and my mushrooms were a 7 ounce can, otherwise made as directed. Served with mixed vegetables for a great and healthy dinner. Thanks for sharing!
- 1⁄2 cup low-sodium wheat crackers, medium grind (about 11 crackers)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 cup low-sodium wheat crackers, medium grind
- 12 ounces low fat cottage cheese, small curd
- 3 ounces canned mushrooms, chopped, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- PREPARE MEAT MIX:.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup medium cracker crumbs (about 11 crackers), ground beef and ground pork, tomato paste, eggs, finely chopped onion, finely chopped green pepper, salt and dash of pepper. Mix well.
- Pat half of the meat mixture into the bottom of an 8x8x2-inch baking pan lightly coated with olive oil.
- PREPARE FILLING:.
- Combine 1/2 cup medium cracker crumbs, small-curd cottage cheese, one 3-ounce can of chopped mushrooms, drained (about 1/2 cup), snipped parsley, and dried oregano (crushed between fingers).
- Spread filling mixture evenly over meat in pan.
- Top with remaining meat mixture.
- Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees Fahrenheit) for 1 hour.
- Let meat loaf stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Makes 8 servings.