Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a very easy gluten-free weeknight recipe that freezes well. I'm calling it "Italian Meatloaf" to distinguish from more classic American style meatloaf which is usually made with onions. It still has ketchup glaze, because ketchup glaze. I've made this in small, medium, and large sized free-form loaves that I shape by hand on top of a foil-covered cookie sheet. This works great, you'll just need to adjust the cooking time. To freeze, wrap in waxed paper and then put in a plastic freezer bag. You can also bake this in a pan with cut up potatoes, carrots, and/or root vegetables coated in olive oil.
- 2 lbs ground beef, pork, and or veal, in whatever combination you prefer
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups Rice Krispies, crushed by hand
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Crush Rice Crispies in a large bowl.
- Add ground meat -- it helps to take it out of the fridge an hour or so in advance so the cold doesn't hurt your hands.
- Add remaining ingredients and combine (I use my hands but you can use a fork if you're squeamish.).
- Shape into any size loaves you like and place on a cookie sheet lined with foil.
- Combine ingredients for glaze. Brush half glaze onto meatloaf and put cookie sheet into the oven. Bake 25-60 minutes depending on size of meatloaves. They'll probably leak some liquid/fat -- when this starts to happen they're close to done.
- About 15 minutes before end of cooking, brush on remaining glaze.