Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Firm texture; use leftovers for sandwiches.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup coarse dried sourdough breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a bowl, combine the first 15 ingredients (ground beef through Parmesan cheese) plus ½ cup tomato sauce; mix well.
- Turn mixture into a lightly greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan; gently pat down.
- Bake for 45 minutes; spread the remaining tomato sauce on top of the loaf; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the sauce is warmed, about 10 minutes.
- Let stand in the pan for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Remove loaf from pan; slice and serve.