Prep 8 mins
Cook 1 hr
This meatloaf is so simple but oh so tasty. I usually use a flavoured pasta sauce to give extra flavour & dried basil sprinkled on top of the tomato is fine if fresh is not available.
- 500 g minced steak or 500 g ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce or 1⁄4 cup pasta sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 200 g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 10 basil leaves
- extra tomato sauce (optional) or pasta sauce (optional)
- Combine mince, egg, breadcrumbs, sauce, parsley, onion and garlic. Mix well to combine.
- Lightly press half the mixture into the base of a foil-lined 10x20cm loaf tin.
- Top with tomatoes, cheese & basil.Lightly press remaining mince mixture over this and smooth top.
- Bake at 200.C for about 1 hour or until cooked through.
- About 10 mins before the end of coooking you can spread some extra sauce on top if you like.
- Remove from tin & serve sliced with vegies or salad.
Three if us devoured 3/4 of this delicious meatloaf. I used a Jensens Basil and Tomato Pasta Sauce with fresh sweet basil from the garden but forgot to add the parsley. I only used one tomato though a large one because that was all I had and used two layers of mozzarella (which was about 150grams from a 250 grams block of fresh mozzarella), the 1/4 cup of pasta sauce I mixed with the mince and used extra in the last 10 minutes. A great stuffed/layered meatloaf. Thank you **Mandy**, made for Edition 8 - Make My Recipe.
What a delicious meatloaf you have here Mandy. I used ground beef, and tomato sauce. We all enjoyed this recipe. No leftovers here, and I added a tad bit more cheese. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe. Made for Auz/Nz recipe swap.
This is very good meatloaf and different than I'm used to. I did use some homemade pasta sauce for that Italian flavor and a combination of mozzarella/provolone cheese. This is yummy. Thanks for sharing!