1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 5 mins
This is great hot or cold; for a picnic or potlucks. I know some of the ingredients may sound weird, but give it a try. We like this for dinner served with cheesy mashed potatoes and if there is any left over its great for lunch the next day
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1/2 cup milk
- 800 g pork and veal mince
- 2 green apples, peeled and grated
- 100 g pistachio nuts, shelled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (ketcup)
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 20 slices thin pancetta or 20 slices bacon, rashers
- 1Heat oil in fry pan, cook onion for about 5 minutes until soft, add garlic& cook for a further minute.
- 2Place onion mixture in a bowl and let cool.
- 3Soak breadcrumbs in the milk for about 5 minutes in a large bowl& then combine well with the mince, apples, nuts, herbs, tomato paste, eggs and onion mixture.
- 4Season well with salt& pepper.
- 5Mix ingredients well.
- 6Line a 23cm x 8cm terrine or loaf tin with overlapping slices of pancetta or bacon.
- 7Fill terrine/ loaf pan with the meat mixture.
- 8Place the excess pancetta over the top of the meat.
- 9Cover with foil.
- 10Bake in a moderate over 180degrees for 45minutes.
- 11Remove foil, then return to over for a further 20 minutes (the meatloaf will have shrunk away from the sides a little).
- 12Leave to reast for about 5 minutes before draining any excess liquid and turning out.
- 13Serve with cheesy mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.9
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 110.0 mg
- Sodium 282.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 13.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pork and veal mince