Recipe by Annetty
This is great hot or cold; for a picnic or potlucks. I know some of the ingredients may sound weird, but give it a try. We like this for dinner served with cheesy mashed potatoes and if there is any left over its great for lunch the next day
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 800 g pork and veal mince
- 2 green apples, peeled and grated
- 100 g pistachio nuts, shelled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (ketcup)
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 20 slices thin pancetta or 20 slices bacon, rashers
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in fry pan, cook onion for about 5 minutes until soft, add garlic& cook for a further minute.
- Place onion mixture in a bowl and let cool.
- Soak breadcrumbs in the milk for about 5 minutes in a large bowl& then combine well with the mince, apples, nuts, herbs, tomato paste, eggs and onion mixture.
- Season well with salt& pepper.
- Mix ingredients well.
- Line a 23cm x 8cm terrine or loaf tin with overlapping slices of pancetta or bacon.
- Fill terrine/ loaf pan with the meat mixture.
- Place the excess pancetta over the top of the meat.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake in a moderate over 180degrees for 45minutes.
- Remove foil, then return to over for a further 20 minutes (the meatloaf will have shrunk away from the sides a little).
- Leave to reast for about 5 minutes before draining any excess liquid and turning out.
- Serve with cheesy mashed potatoes.