Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from the Joy of Cooking cook book. These meatballs are tasty and a staple in my kitchen. They are perfect for a quick dinner at home or perfect for entertaining. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Mix all ingredients up to the dried oregano with your hands.
- Scoop out mixture in heaping tablespoons and form into 2-inch balls.
- Dredge the meatballs in the flour.
- Heat in a large skillet over medium heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Brown the meatballs in batches.
- Place in baking pan and cook in a preheated 375 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Or, if desired finish cooking in the sauce of your choice.
The BEST meatball recipe I've made yet (and I've tried a TON). Easy to make ahead of time, minus the flower, and throw in the pan and oven 20m before dinner.
These were very flavorful, made as stated. I liked them, but felt them may have had a little too much cheese and bread crumbs, felt they turned out mushy. But their flavor made up for it. I served them with a stroganoff sauce.
A real hands-on preparation, which I enjoy, & this recipe went together easily & resulted in very tasty meatballs! I made the balls smaller than suggested & froze half of them for later use! Very nice, & will make again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]