Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Great for pasta toppers or for a hearty meatball sandwich, topped with lots of mozzarella cheese.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- In bowl, beat egg with salt, seasoning, red pepper flakes and garlic.
- Add chopped onion, beef, pork, bread crumbs and parmesan.
- Mix well.
- Shape into 1 ½” balls.
- Place meatballs in 5 qt or larger crock pot.
- In same bowl, mix tomato sauce with wine and pour over meatballs.
- Cover and cook on low til meatballs are no longer pink in the middle, 5-6 hours.
- Great on pasta, or on a bun as a sandwich, topped with parmesan and/or mozzarella.
Fabulous. I've made this recipe many times. It freezes very well so it's great to make a double batch to have an easy dinner on hand.
It is great, I made medium sized meatballs and got about 3 dozen. I bought dinner rolls and used them as subs. They worked out perfectly for a small side dish. Next time, I will add some italian seasoning to the tomato sauce and a little less wine. I think it would be a little better if the sauce was a little thicker. I may even try adding canned tomatoes.
These were absolutely delicious. I'm making them again this week. Only thing I added was a little fennel seed.I only made 1 doz. I'm doubling.