Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is quite rich and friends quite often ask me to cook it. It can be served with either pasta or polenta.
- 250 g pork mince
- 250 g veal mince
- 50 g good smoked bacon, chopped
- 2 chopped red chilies
- 6 chopped spring onions
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 2 (400 g) canschopped Italian tomatoes
- 200 ml dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine first 8 ingredients and shape into about 24 firm balls.
- Brown in a little olive oil.
- Add the red wine and tomatoes with pinch of sugar and cook gently for 1 hour until sauce has thickened and turned dark red.
this was a very different dish for us. i have been making meatballs the same way forever, always use breadcrumbs and eggs, milk, etc. i didn't think these meatballs would even hold together- but they did, beautifully. for the sauce i added alot of fresh rosemary, parsley, thyme, basil during the last 15 minutes but i added dried oregano and a bay leaf at the beginning of the cooking time. my husband thought it was a meat sauce because of the dark color and rich flavor. i served this with thick spaghetti and it made 6 servings, just perfect for us. i will be making this again