Recipe by Karen From Colorado
Low-fat meatball sandwich to satisfy that italian craving without all the calories you would get at the local sub shop.
Top Review by Mz Fran from Maine
This recipe is perfect for satisfying the meatball sub urge while also sticking to low fat! My Mom is visiting with me and had been wanting to have a Hot Meatball Sub and this hit the spot! Thanks for sharing.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together meat, crackers, onion and garlic in a large bowl.
- Roll into 2 inch meatballs.
- Cook meatballs in a non-stick skillet until browned on all sides.
- Drain any fat from pan.
- Add tomato sauce, and heat.
- Slice the french bread in half.
- Scoop out some of the bread in the bottom half with a fork, leaving a shallow space for the meatballs to rest inches.
- Spoon the meatballs and sauce into the space you made for them.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella and top with the other half of the bread.