Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
You can vary this dish with your favorite combination of frozen or fresh vegetables
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil, crushed
- 1 (16 ounce) packageitalian style vegetables, cooked and drained
- In a large bowl combine beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, milk, cheese, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Form into 2 inch balls.
- Place meatballs in bottom of crock pot.
- Combine tomato paste, broth, seasoned salt, oregano and basil.
- Pour mixture over meat.
- Cook low 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Stir in cooked vegetables.
- Cover and cook on high 10-15 mins til mixture is hot.
This was excellent. I've never had stew with meatballs in it so I didn't know what to expect. DH said it tasted like spaghetti without the pasta and I thought the same. I couldn't find Italian style vegetables so I just used green beans, zucchini and corn instead. The other thing that I did different was to bake the meatballs in the oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. I did this because I was getting it ready one night and wouldn't be plugging it in until the morning and I was leery about the raw meat sitting over night with all the other ingredients. Thanks for posting this Bluenoser. Made for My Three Chefs Fall 2009.