Recipe by Bluenoser
You can vary this dish with your favorite combination of frozen or fresh vegetables
Top Review by LARavenscroft
This was excellent. I've never had stew with meatballs in it so I didn't know what to expect. DH said it tasted like spaghetti without the pasta and I thought the same. I couldn't find Italian style vegetables so I just used green beans, zucchini and corn instead. The other thing that I did different was to bake the meatballs in the oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. I did this because I was getting it ready one night and wouldn't be plugging it in until the morning and I was leery about the raw meat sitting over night with all the other ingredients. Thanks for posting this Bluenoser. Made for My Three Chefs Fall 2009.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil, crushed
- 1 (16 ounce) packageitalian style vegetables, cooked and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, milk, cheese, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Form into 2 inch balls.
- Place meatballs in bottom of crock pot.
- Combine tomato paste, broth, seasoned salt, oregano and basil.
- Pour mixture over meat.
- Cook low 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Stir in cooked vegetables.
- Cover and cook on high 10-15 mins til mixture is hot.