Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Not sure if this should be called this a soup or stew, it's a meal in a bowl and really only needs to be served with a loaf of crusty bread, I use my own Parmesan meatball Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs for this and shape into 1-inch balls, store bought frozen meatballs will work fine, I have left the small shell pasta as optional you may add in at the end if desited... to make this vegetarian use vegetable broth and soy meatballs
Top Review by It's Good to be Queen!
It was a cold, rainy day and I wanted comfort food but not something heavy. This hit the spot! Our kids love Kit's meatballs and the fact that we put them in soup was an added bonus. I thought this recipe had great "italian" flavor. I sauteed the onions, carrots, garlic, & italian seasoning as instructed. I then placed the sautee along with the broth, tomato sauce, meatballs & beans in a crock pot. About an hour before dinner I added the spinach but left out the pasta. Everyone added their own cheese as the soup was served. It was wonderful with a loaf of crusty bread and tossed salad. Another 5 star!
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 -25 small meatballs (or use as many as desired, if using store-bought frozen meatballs do not thaw before browning)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth (or use 4 cups broth and 1 cups water)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (can omit if desired and just use the broth)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (6 ounce) bagfresh Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use more)
- 1 -2 cup cooked small shell pasta (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a pot over medium heat; add in the meatballs and brown on all sides, then remove to a bowl.
- Add in onions and carrots, then saute for about 4 minutes.
- Add in garlic, Italian seasoning and chili flakes; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add in broth and tomato sauce, seasoned salt and black pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add in the browned meatballs with beans; bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 1 hour or even more.
- After the 1 hour cooking time add in the spinach, Parmesan cheese and small pasta (if using) simmer for about 2 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
- Season with more salt and black pepper if desired.
- Serve with more Parmesan cheese on the side.