24 hrs 25 mins
Not sure if this should be called this a soup or stew, it's a meal in a bowl and really only needs to be served with a loaf of crusty bread, I use my own Parmesan meatball Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs for this and shape into 1-inch balls, store bought frozen meatballs will work fine, I have left the small shell pasta as optional you may add in at the end if desited... to make this vegetarian use vegetable broth and soy meatballs
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 -25 small meatballs (or use as many as desired, if using store-bought frozen meatballs do not thaw before browning)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth (or use 4 cups broth and 1 cups water)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (can omit if desired and just use the broth)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (6 ounce) bag fresh Baby Spinach
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use more)
- 1 -2 cup cooked small shell pasta (optional)
- 1Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a pot over medium heat; add in the meatballs and brown on all sides, then remove to a bowl.
- 2Add in onions and carrots, then saute for about 4 minutes.
- 3Add in garlic, Italian seasoning and chili flakes; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- 4Add in broth and tomato sauce, seasoned salt and black pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 5Add in the browned meatballs with beans; bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 1 hour or even more.
- 6After the 1 hour cooking time add in the spinach, Parmesan cheese and small pasta (if using) simmer for about 2 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
- 7Season with more salt and black pepper if desired.
- 8Serve with more Parmesan cheese on the side.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Meatball Pot
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.3
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 343.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 14.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning