Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Who knew that combining turkey Italian sausage and ground sirloin would make for a made-in-heaven kind of match that keeps you hooked bite after bite? Serve this on a bun or over spaghetti. Either way, you won't be able to get enough.
- 8 ounces sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- cooking spray
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 6 (2 ounce) italian bread rolls, split
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce (such as Muir Glen)
- Prepare grill.
- Remove casings from sausage. Combine sausage, oregano, basil, salt, fennel seeds, garlic powder and ground sirloin. Divide turkey/beef mixture into 6-equal portions, shaping each into 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Place patties on a grill rack coated with cooking spray, grill 5 minutes. Turn patties over, grill 2 minutes. Divide fresh mozzarella cheese evenly over patties, and grill an additional 5 minutes or until a thermometer registers 165°. Remove from grill; let stand 5 minutes.
- Place rolls, cut side down, on grill rack; grill 1 minute or until toasted. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each roll; top each serving with 2 tablespoons sauce and top half of roll.