Prep 40 mins
Cook 8 hrs
If you wanted a nice, easy pasta sauce...Weight Watcher friendly in points...but not sacrificing the taste. This is it!!! Serving size: 1 cup pasta, 1 cup sauce, 2 tablespoons cheese, and 1 tablespoon basil = 13 points
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) canno-salt-added crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 16 ounces whole wheat pasta, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup torn fresh basil
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and carrot to pan; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Place vegetable mixture in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add sausage and beef to skillet; sauté 6 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
- To remove the excess grease, strain the beef in a colandar. Add beef mixture to slow cooker.
- Stir olives and next 6 ingredients (through tomato sauce) into slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours. Stir in oregano.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Serve sauce with hot cooked pasta; top with basil and cheese.