Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is loosely based on Lydia Bastianich's recipe and is spectacular. This is an authentic "gravy" for pasta. Rich and robust. We add hot pepper flakes to taste.
- 70 ounces Italian plum tomatoes, canned and crushed with hands
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 large beef bones with marrow
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hot Italian sausage
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil (or more if using fresh)
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups hot water (or more)
- Cook sausage until browned. Drain well and set aside.
- Using the same pan heat olive oil. Cook onion and garlic until softened. Add marrow bones. Cook 5-10 minutes turning often.
- Add wine and stir well scraping bottom of pan. Cook until mostly evaporated.
- Add remaining ingredients with cooked sausage. Cook for several hours uncovered adding water if needed. It should be a deep brick color. Discard bones.
- Serve with favorite pasta.
- Note: You should use quality Italian sausage from your local butcher for optimal flavor.
I am Italian and this is about as authentic as it gets!! I do cut up fresh mushrooms, celery and green pepper and saute it all with the onions and garlic. Fabulous!! Extra garlic always works too! I add a little parmesan (dry) to the sauce. YUM!!!!