1/4 Photos of Italian Meat Sauce for Pasta or Lasagna
3 hrs 10 mins
Vicki in CT's Note:
This is loosely based on Lydia Bastianich's recipe and is spectacular. This is an authentic "gravy" for pasta. Rich and robust. We add hot pepper flakes to taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 70 ounces Italian plum tomatoes, canned and crushed with hands
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 large beef bones with marrow
- 1 1/2 lbs hot Italian sausage
- salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil (or more if using fresh)
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups hot water (or more)
- 1Cook sausage until browned. Drain well and set aside.
- 2Using the same pan heat olive oil. Cook onion and garlic until softened. Add marrow bones. Cook 5-10 minutes turning often.
- 3Add wine and stir well scraping bottom of pan. Cook until mostly evaporated.
- 4Add remaining ingredients with cooked sausage. Cook for several hours uncovered adding water if needed. It should be a deep brick color. Discard bones.
- 5Serve with favorite pasta.
- 6Note: You should use quality Italian sausage from your local butcher for optimal flavor.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Meat Sauce for Pasta or Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.8
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 38.8 mg
- Sodium 903.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 15.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef bones with marrow