Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is an awesome meat sauce! Our family cooks this in large quanities and freezes it.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb sausage
- 2 large onions (finely chopped)
- 1 -12 ounce tomato paste
- 3 -16 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 5 teaspoons basil
- 5 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups water
- Cook ground beef, sausage together in large pot. Use a potato masher to break up the meat into fine pieces. Drain the fat into a skillet, cook onions in fat. Drain fat and return onions to meat mixture.
- Add tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and water. Simmer on stove for two hours or till the sauce reduces,
- Serve with pasta, ravioli, etc -- .
I pretty much followed this recipe right on down & used some mild Italian sausage along with very lean ground beef ~ a nice combo of meats! Tasty as all get out, too, & another time I'll be making some to freeze, as well! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]