1/1 Photo of Italian Meat Sauce
3 hrs 15 mins
Because it has ground meat, it is called Bolognese sauce. You can use any combination of ground meat and can serve it over any type of pasta or rice. It is great with lasagna. This will take close to three hours total, so prepare yourself! Makes enough for one large lasagne or 16 servings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the onions, carrots, celery, and salt pork (if using) in a food processor and process to a fine paste. In a heated skillet with olive oil, brown this combination.
- 2Add the ground meat to the skillet and brown.
- 3Once the meat is browned, add the wine and cook to evaporate it.
- 4Add the salt, black pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to simmer for 2 hours covered. Stir from the bottom every 20 minutes. Be careful that the heat is not too high - it will burn.
- 5Uncover and simmer 1 more hour.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Meat Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.8
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 52.9 mg
- Sodium 1155.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 15.7 g