Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Because it has ground meat, it is called Bolognese sauce. You can use any combination of ground meat and can serve it over any type of pasta or rice. It is great with lasagna. This will take close to three hours total, so prepare yourself! Makes enough for one large lasagne or 16 servings.
- 3 onions
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks celery & leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup wine
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes (chopped or Kitchen Ready)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 6 ounces water
- 1 slice salt pork (optional)
- Place the onions, carrots, celery, and salt pork (if using) in a food processor and process to a fine paste. In a heated skillet with olive oil, brown this combination.
- Add the ground meat to the skillet and brown.
- Once the meat is browned, add the wine and cook to evaporate it.
- Add the salt, black pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to simmer for 2 hours covered. Stir from the bottom every 20 minutes. Be careful that the heat is not too high - it will burn.
- Uncover and simmer 1 more hour.
My lady lost her ancient recipe for Italian meat sauce. Her last concoction was woefully bland.. Searched for something similiar on the web site, and came across this one. At first glance, I said "Hey this is it!" Then I read further, and started asking questions in my mind:
"Is this supposed to be Italian?
Where is the handfull of garlic cloves?
Where is the basil, oregano, and rosemary that defines "Italian?"
Where are the bay leaves?"
I loved the "process and listed ingredients,and shall use them, except the carrots." But, this recipe, as written, leaves out key ingredients on the way to becoming Italian, as I have experienced it and enjoyed it.. But then, who am I to dictate or even critique taste? Keep on cookin JaLee, there is room for all manner of tastes... PP
Great tasting sauce! My whole family liked it and when I asked if they preferred this one to mine they all said this one...boohoo... but thanks, I preferred this one too., LOL!